The first Specimen Hill school was run by the Wesleyan Church near the corner of Chum Street and Specimen Hill Road amidst the frantic activity of one of the world's richest goldfields.
Most of the school's parents back then were miners, largely employed on the fabulously rich New Chum Line of Reef.
Life in the 1850's would have been at times very exciting, but also very perilous - and certainly a lot of hard work!
In 1873 - The (New) Victorian Education Department bought land in Inglewood Street and built the first Specimen Hill (State) School No 592, which was opened on 26 January 1874.
In May 1874 Specimen Hill State School changed Roll No to 1316, and in October 1878 received its first bell.
On 26 January 1999 (Australia Day) Specimen Hill proudly celebrated 125 years as a Victorian state school.
The old school was refurbished in1998.